Celebrating Mrs Ethel Bryant's 100th Birthday!

For many years, Ethel was well-known for reciting Yorkshire monologues during concerts with the Woodlesford Ladies' choir and Rothwell's Jubilee choir. We hope you enjoy the treasure trove of her carefully written-out copies that we share here!

Sunday 21 September 2014

Some'dy Small

The housework's done and everythin shinin,
I think I'll have a half-hours reclinin,
But there's a knock at t'doar and some'dy small
Is waiting ter tumble into the hall.

Two laughing eyes, an infectious grin,
"Come on, Gran'ma, let mi in!"
"You can't come in, because Ahm aht!"
"Don't be silly, Gran'ma!" is the shaout.

So I oppen t'doar an over the step
Comes one small bundle, brimmin wi pep,
"Hav yer gor any biscuits for me today?"
"Non at all, darling." I hasten to say.

So off she goes, ter t'biscuit tin,
Lifts off t'lid and peeps within.
"Grandma, you hav! Can I hav two?"
"Of course, ma petal, there's plenty for you!"

Ther's crumbs on t'floar, an beakers o pop,
(Excuse me a moment while Ah get mi mop)
Ther's a mess on t'table, 'andmarks on t'doar,
Just look around - Ah'm tidy n'more!

Then she gives me a kiss, an hugs mi so tight,
An waves an waves until she's aht a sight.
So I clean up the 'ouse, Ah'm tidy once more,
But please, God, keep her knockin at my front doar.

No comments:

Post a Comment